Guidelines for Exhibition Proposal Submissions
About BMoA and its Exhibitions:
The Bakersfield Museum of Art (BMoA) is committed to exhibit, educate, collect, and provide scholarship relative to visual arts focusing on American, Californian, and prominent Kern County artists. BMoA offers a diverse range of exemplary art exhibitions, educational programs, and community outreach events. It is a distinguished yet accessible, welcoming institution that serves as a cultural, collaborative, and educational focal point for the community.
Housed in a 17,400 square foot structure, BMoA is a sixty-plus-year-old, non-profit institution accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The Museum facility accommodates: five distinct gallery spaces; a sculpture garden; two classrooms; a permanent collection; an arts library; a conference room; administrative offices; a banquet hall; and a gift shop.
BMoA exhibits customary and contemporary art that addresses social issues and diverse themes in a variety of media technique. Guest artists may propose solo or group exhibitions that fall under a thematic umbrella that holds a notion of significance to the Museum’s focus. Exhibitions representing a diversity of gender, ethnicities, and backgrounds are encouraged. Potential exhibited artists who are not acquainted with BMOA’s exhibitions or physical venue are encouraged to visit the facilities and review previous BMoA exhibitions online.
Include in the Proposal:
1. An exhibition checklist of artwork that will be on display. Include information such as: image, artist name, title, and type of media for each piece, as well as proposed gallery layout.
2. A one-page description of the exhibition.
3. Artist biography and/or resume with contact information including an email address, phone number, and mailing address.
4. Hi-resolution images submitted as jpegs on a CD, DVD, or flash drive.
5. A description of the target audience.
6. Examples of at least two programs (e.g., talks, workshops, etc.) to take place in concurrence with exhibit.
7. A list of requested materials needed to display pieces, if applicable (e.g., moveable walls, pedestals, etc.).
Optional, but highly encouraged:
8. Proposed funding and ideas for marketing strategy.
9. Information which may be of interest for school and/or docent tours.
10. Interesting facts surrounding the artwork/artist(s).
If Selected, BMoA Will Provide:
1. Gallery space and design for a period of 3-4 months.
2. Marketing promotion.
4. Display and archive exhibition images on BMoA’s website.
5. Shipment of artwork and associated expenses.
6. Insurance for artwork.
7. Coordinate educational programming with Curatorial Department input.
Please do not call or email regarding the status of your submission. If interested, a museum representative will contact you with further questions or to book the exhibition.
Send Exhibition Proposal Materials to:
ATTN: EXHIBITION PROPOSALS
Bakersfield Museum of Art
1930 R Street
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Proposal materials will not be returned. Please ensure you keep originals documentation for your records.